On June 28, 2005, Rick Riordan published his first children’s story, The Lightning Thief. The first book in Percy Jackson and The Olympians series introduced the world to his iconic character Percy Jackson, a demigod.
The novel was a massive hit and the series unsurprisingly went on to become a worldwide phenomenon, selling millions of copies, and has since garnered a huge fan following.
The film rights were bought by Twentieth Century Fox, who released The Lightning Thief in 2010 and Sea of Monsters in 2013, both of which were notable commercial successes.
The response made Riordan further release five Percy Jackson novels. He also wrote several additional short stories, graphic novels, and other books relating to the series, collaborating with other authors (including his 16-year-old son Haley) for some of the books as well.
Name: Author Rick Riordan, pictured at a Miami conference in October 2015, on Tuesday defended the casting of a Black actress in the upcoming Disney Plus adaptation of his Percy Jackson book series.
1. What is the correct order of the Percy Jackson novels?
Whether you are new to Percy Jackson, looking for a re-read, or watched the movies you will never likely see more added to the franchise, you have found your way to the perfect place to look for the list of Percy Jackson books in order. There are two ways out there to read the Percy Jackson books in proper order.
I. Percy Jackson Books in Release Order
- The Lightning Thief (2005)
- The Sea of Monsters (2006)
- The Titans Curse (2007)
- The Battle of Labyrinth (2008)
- The Last Olympian (2009)
- The Demigod Files(2009)
- The Red Pyramid (2010)
- The Lost Hero (2010)
- The Throne of Fire (2011)
- The Son of Neptune (2011)
- The Serpent’s Shadow (2012)
- The Demigod Diaries (2012) (Short Story Collection)
- The Mark of Athena (2012)
- The Son of Sobek (2013) (Short Story)
- The Singer of Apollo (2013) (Short Story)
- The House of Hades (2013)
- The Staff of Serapis (2014)
- The Blood of Olympus (2014)
- The Crown of Ptolemy (2015) (Short Story)
- The Sword of Summer (2015)
- The Hidden Oracle (2016)
- The Hammer of Thor (2016)
- The Dark Prophecy (2017)
- The Ship of the Dead (2017)
- The Burning Maze (2018)
- 9 From the Nine Worlds (2018) (Short Story Collection)
- The Tyrant’s Tomb (2019)
- The Tower of Nero (2020)
- The Sun and the Star (w/ Mark Oshiro) (Expected: May 2, 2023)
- The Chalice of the Gods (Expected: September 26, 2023)
II. Companion Books/Stories
- Percy Jackson and the Greek Gods
- Percy Jackson’s Greek Heroes
- Hotel Valhalla: Guide to the Norse Worlds
- The Trials of Apollo: Camp Jupiter Classified: A Probatio’s Journal
2. Percy Jackson Books in Order by Series
The term “Percy Jackson Books” has been used to make it clear that many of the books do not feature Percy Jackson himself.
The primary benefit of reading the Percy Jackson books by series is that you aren’t hopping between the characters and places.
To solve all your dilemma, lets us provide you with the simplest and probably, the most recommended reading method for Rick Riordan’s books. There shouldn’t be any spoilers for books written in other series so long as you read them in this order, but anything is possible if the series overlap.
Be sure to read Percy Jackson before Heroes of Olympus. And read the Kane Chronicles before Demigods and Magicians.
I. Percy Jackson & The Olympians
- The Lightning Thief (June 28, 2005)
- Sea of Monsters (April 1, 2006)
- The Titan’s Curse (May 1, 2007)
- The Battle of The Labyrinth (May 6, 2008)
- The Last of the Olympian (Short Story Collection) (May 5, 2009)
- The Singer of Apollo (Short Story) (September 16, 2013)
- The Chalice of the Gods ( Expected: September 26, 2023)
II. The Heroes of Olympus
- The Lost Hero (October 10, 2010)
- The Son of Neptune (October 4, 2011)
- The Mark of Athena (October 2, 2012)
- The House of Hades (October 8, 2013)
- The Blood of Olympus (October 7, 2014)
- The Demigod Diaries (Short Story Collection) (August 14, 2012)
The Heroes of Olympus Paperback Boxed Set (10th Anniversary Edition): Riordan, Rick: 9781368053099: Amazon.com: Books
III. The Kane Chronicles
- The Red Pyramid (May 4, 2010)
- The Throne of Fire (May 3, 2011)
- The Serpent’s Shadow (May 1, 2012)
Amazon.com: The Complete Kane Chronicles (The Kane Chronicles) eBook : Riordan, Rick: Kindle Store
IV. Demigods and Magicians
- The Son of Sobek (Short Story) (May 7, 2013)
- The Staff of Serapis (Short Story) (April 8, 2014)
- The Crown of Ptolemy (March 31, 2015)
Demigods & Magicians: RICK RIORDAN: 9780141367286: Amazon.com: Books
V. Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard
- The Sword of Summer (October 7, 2014)
- The Hammer of Thor (October 4, 2016)
- The Ship of the Dead (October 3, 2017)
- 9 From the Nine Worlds (October 2, 2018)
Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, Book 1: The Sword of Summer – Kindle edition by Riordan, Rick. Children Kindle eBooks @Amazon.com.
VI. The Trials of Apollo
- The Hidden Oracle (May 3, 2016)
- The Dark Prophecy (May 2, 2017)
- The Burning Maze (May 1, 2018)
- The Tyrant’s Tomb (September 24, 2019)
- The Tower of Nero (October 6, 2020)
Amazon.com : percy jackson trials of apollo
VII. Nico di Angelo and Will Solace
The Sun and the Star (Expected: May 2, 2023)
The Sun and the Star (From the World of Percy Jackson): A Nico di Angelo Adventure : Riordan, Rick: Amazon.com.au: Books
3. Conclusion: Which order should you follow?
It’s a matter of choice, different ways to read the Percy Jackson books may be followed by different people depending on their preferences. I would go with reading the books based on the series since it might lead to less confusion and will allow proceeding to a new story on the proper completion of a particular one fully.
Both the books and the character Percy Jackson has amassed a huge fan following and keeps on increasing the fan base with the upcoming thrilling books. The book Percy Jackson and The Olympians is being, made in a Disney+ Show of the same name due to the demand.
Time will say whether it can keep up with the legacy of the books.
4. About Percy Jackson And The Olympians
Percy Jackson And The Olympians is an upcoming Disney+ show which will follow the events of the book series of the same name by Rick Riordan. The fantasy action series is now in production.
The series will follow each of the five books in the fantasy novel series, covering one book per season. The first season will follow Percy Jackson, who just discovered he is a demigod and son of Poseidon, Greek God of the Sea; Annabeth Chase, the daughter of Athena; and the brave satyr Grover. The first season follows the teens across states as they go on a quest to save Percy’s mother from Hades.
The series stars Walker Scobell as Percy Jackson, Leah Sava Jeffries as Annabeth Chase, Aryan Simhadri as Grover, Virginia Kull as Saly Jackson, Charlie Bushnell as Luke Castellan, Dior Goodjohn as Clarisse LaRue, and more.